Monday, October 4, 2010

First Entry

Hi,

My trusted friend and personal photographer, Ben Filio, thought up this blog while talking with Elana Shlenker, a denizen of NYC whose interest got totally peked by rumors of a "garden oasis" in PGH. Since a bit of an audience can sometimes motivate, and since blogging is free and easy, this is a brainstorm and report covering the progress I hope to make on the Brighton garden project (aka: the Family Sorrel) located at Brighton and Colombia Rd in Pittsburgh, PA 15212. I asked Darwin if I could use the space about 2 months ago. With his permission, I had a ton of woodchips dumped on it thanks to Duquesne Light Co. Tree cutters. So far I've made one 8 x 25 ft. bed and a shanty of an unfinished greenhouse. Laura Winter of the Northside children's garden lent me some tools (shovel, rake) and a composter. Evan and Ben lent me power screw drivers, and mitre saw, though the majority was cut by hand. Neighbors have offered me rocks, a demolished building across the street granted me bricks, and RiverView Valley Stables gave me a trucks worth of manure that I picked up in Andrea's Ford. Jonathan, a local dancer, has thrown his right hand in, and Brent from the coffee shop let me in on a cinder block reservoire in California-Kirkbride.


It gets close to the winter months, and I've decided to allay my impatience by building a greenhouse to grow lettuce and spinach in. It will also be useful in the spring to protect seedlings. My hope now is to get the plastic covering secured, and finish the roof.

Next on my list will be getting a 55 gallon barrel or two for rain collection and getting them set up. I will tell you how that works.

Then I will finish the greenhouse exterior and attempt to install a hydroponic system that will use a solar-powered water pump, that will hopefully withstand the winter.

Then I wait for my woodchip-manure mix to decompose in the bed so that I can plant in the spring.

Winter's in Pittsburgh are known for being randy, so I'm stoking my metaphorical fire as we speak.

All should be off the grid (free) and whether or not there is a yield, it will be a good time.

Come check it out. Thanks to all above, and Elana for the readership.

-Ben

1 comment:

  1. Wood, blocks, manure, ect... not to mention time, energy, money and friends- it is inspiring to see people create on the urban canvas.

    ReplyDelete