Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The System

Courtney from GrowPittsburgh told me of a great idea using straw and clay (Artist-style molding clay) to construct buildings. That is now the plan for how to finish my greenhouse. Clay should add a good insulation for cracks, holes, missing walls, etc.
I was on http://www.growpittsburgh.org/growpittsburgh/UrbanAgZoningCode looking at a zoning code today and realized I can have (by pittsburgh law) 3 chickens, and sell the food off of the lot on which it was grown with permission from the owner. Did I mention Ray at the "Brighton Market" that just opened next to the lot said I could put vegetables in his store. Right now it´s all candy and cigarettes, so I hope to corner the market on vegetables at his corner store. There was a boost of inspiration in city agro ordinances thanks to Bill Peduto, the kind representative. Why the fuck should we wait for city ordinances to tell us what we can do? Because we don´t want to go to jail, that´s why. The city is good at putting people in jail, and then lighting them with LED lights, so that they can go green.

Boring video with Dan Onorato who I need to talk to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX10CQmFExY

What horse shit! Which is a good thing, albeit too high in nitrogen. Better than nothing.

Still the "system" everyone fears, is something that is not written in code. It is malleable, and you can never expect Bill Peduto and Dan Onorato to do anything for us. We have to do it ourselves and then have them either work with or against us. Lawyers are there to make sure it all goes down without a fight. Lawyers are just the referees in the boxing match between the government an the people.

There´s a sweet fence next door that fell down, and I hear chicken eggs are cheap and online. I´m thinking about hanging with my buddy who´s been a cooper and seeing if he´s not on the fence about this one. Ha.

Lately I´ve been pondering, and thinking. I also did some county website property searching. $200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 200, 200 dollar properties on the side of a steep hill, facing the southern sky (excellent sun). All with such a great view! I´m taking a walk there this weekend to explore. I gotta call the city to see how it would be possible to buy them, making sure firstly, that I can zone them for food production with the aim of eventually putting greenhouses in a terraced manner on the hillside, using as much wood as possible from neighboring trees.

Bright and early tomorrow to collect more soil samples. $10 http://www.umass.edu/soiltest/order.htm for a lead test. Lead doesn´t get into the food much, but does get into your skin and lungs via the dirt and dust. It´s digging that you need to worry about when considering lead levels in your soil. Lead is absorbed by plants too. Sunflowers, says Jen Dandy, are good ways to get these out.

I have solicited the help of Kim Muth who chairs the Philippino Student Association. She and a few members need a volunteer project.

"Toughened" my broccoli shoots by putting them outside today. letting ya'll know it's time for bean planting btw.

Ahh a plan. I heard Carnegie started making steel in his basement.

So long for now,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment